ORION - Joint Research and Development Centre
The main objectives of ORION are
1) the promotion of research activities in the area of Cyprus and the Mediterranean in general;
2) development of operational information systems and forecasting of environmental phenomena affecting the region surrounding Cyprus;
3) protection of natural resources and effective management of environmental risks (eg desertification, droughts, fires and floods, water pollution);
4) the organization of integrated databases;
5) to promote scientific excellence and optimal learning methods; as well as
6) updating and informing citizens and local authorities of Cyprus for the purposes of the Institute.