Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The CCCI is the union of Cypriot businessmen, the interests of whom it promotes by submitting to the government and the Parliament the members’ positions on matters in which they are involved, while, through its participation in tripartite bodies and committees, it conveys and promotes the views of the business community.
The Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry was founded in 1927 and in 1963, a new structure was adopted, which remains in operation to date, under the name of: “Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry”. The CCCI is the federation of the local Chambers of Commerce and Industry (CCIs) which operate in Nicosia, Limassol, Famagusta, Larnaca and Paphos. The local CCIs have a geographical coverage of their respective districts. The Nicosia CCI covers also the districts of Kyrenia and Morphou.
The membership of the CCCI exceeds 8,000 enterprises from the whole spectrum of business activity. Affiliated to it are more than 140 Professional Associations from the trade, industry and services sectors.
The Chamber is governed by a 44-member Council chaired by the President. A 17-member Executive Committee acts as co – ordinator and handles matters of urgency.
The CCCI Secretariat is involved in the day – to – day operation of the Chamber and in the implementation of the policies and decisions of its governing bodies, under the direction of the Secretary General who is the Chief Executive Officer of the Chamber.
The Secretariat comprises the following departments and independent services:
- Department of Services and Trade;
- Department of Industry;
- Department of Education and European Programmes;
- Department of International and Public Relations;
- Department of Industrial Relations;
- Department of Accounts;
- Certificates of Origin Service;
- Press Office.
A Supreme Advisory Body, functioning as forum of two way communication and consultation, is made up of the members of the Boards of the CCCI and the Local Chambers and the Presidents and Vice – Presidents of the Professional Business Associations.
The basic objective of the CCCI is to safeguard and steadily develop the Cyprus Economy in order to continuously improve the standard of living and prosperity of all the people of Cyprus.
This objective outlines and determines the policy of the CCCI and its activities which aim at offering high quality services to members, including:
- Promotion of the interests of the business community, within the framework of the broader interests of Cyprus and the welfare of its people;
- Strengthening of private initiative which constitutes the backbone of the economy while safeguarding and promoting, at the same time, the liberal character of the economic system of Cyprus;
- Being abreast of the economic developments and maximising the contribution of the business community to the country’s progress;
- Contributing towards continuous and balanced growth nationwide, within the framework of the European Union.