Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (HCMR), Institute of Oceanography
HCMR comprises by three research Institutes:
- Institute of Marine Biology, Biotechnology and Aquaculture (IMBBC);
- Institute of Marine Biological Resources and Inland Waters (IMBRIW);
- Institute of Oceanography (IO).
It aims to carry out scientific and technological research, and experimental development, dissemination and implementation of produced results, especially in the fields of study and protection of the hydrosphere, its organisms, its interface with the atmosphere, the coast and the sea bottom, the physical, chemical, biological and geological conditions that prevail and regulate the above mentioned systems with:
- the production of products and supply of services;
- the support of decision-making concerning the general public, the economy and culture;
- their economical exploitation either by the HCMR and/or by its employees or by third parties.
The Institute of Oceanography (IO) was established in 1985 and is the largest of the three Institutes of the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (HCMR). It is based in Anavyssos, Attica (“TRITON” building) and has two branches on Crete (“THALASSOKOSMOS”) and Rhodes (Hydrobiological Station).
IO's mission is to study in a multidisciplinary way, describe, long-term monitor and forecast the physical, chemical, biological and geological processes with the aim to improve knowledge about the ocean, comprehend its relationship to the rest of the planet and the climate regulation, assess the impact of natural and anthropogenic pressures in the marine ecosystems and promote sustainable use of the ocean resources.