Conservation and sustainable capitalization of biodiversity in forested areas
|Call||1st Call for Project Proposals|
|Lead Partner||Democritus University of Thrace, Department of Forestry and Management of the Environment and Natural Resources|
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, School of Economics
Centre for Research and Technology-Hellas (CERTH), Institute of Applied Biosciences
Cyprus University of Technology
Exhibition Research Institute
Municipality of Maliq
Municipality of Vrapcisht
For this reason economic valuation is one of the main priorities of ‘’EU Biodiversity Strategy to 2020’’ (Act. 5) that stresses the importance of mapping ecosystems and their services, assessing the economic value of such services, and promote the integration of these values into accounting and reporting systems at EU and national level by 2020.
Goal of BIOPROSPECT project is to explore and document the economic value of forested areas and the ways of sustainable capitalization as a mean for their wise management and conservation. The specific objectives are:
1. To provide operational tools for the conservation of forest biodiversity through economic valuation and sustainable capitalization
2. To demonstrate the operational application forest economic valuation and capitalization benefits
3. To integrate economic valuation in operational management of forested areas and policy initiatives of Balkan Mediterranean area
In order to achieve the objectives the project will:
- Provide operational models and guidelines for the economic valuation and sustainable capitalization of biodiversity-ecosystem services in agriculture, industry, water resources management, education, recreation and social inclusion;
- Map the cross-border genetic pool and bioprospect of forested areas;
- Demonstrate solution for sustainable capitalization of biodiversity in natural forests and protected areas;
- Establish a knowledge exchange network and a one-stop-shop for the economic valuation and sustainable capitalization of forest biodiversity;
- Mainstream biodiversity valuation and bioeconomy in regional and rural development strategies and policies.
Through the project policy makers and forest managers will gain skills in addressing forest biodiversity evaluation and management challenges while the programme area will benefit from sustainable practices and policies that promote the implementation of EU Forest and EU Biodiversity Strategies for 2020.